While the State Government concessions systems remains one of the most effective mechanisms available to State Government to assist low income Tasmanians, the current system is complex, inequitable and difficult to access.
The key deficiencies in the current system are:
- inconsistency in eligibility criteria,
- a confusing multiplicity of application procedures;
- poor design of concessions;
- erosion of the value of the concessions; and
- the absence of whole-of-government policy responsibility for the concessions system.